Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Nato troops killed in Afghan 'insider attack'

Published 26/08/2015

The attack appeared to be the latest so-called 'insider attack' to target foreign troops or contractors in Afghanistan
The attack appeared to be the latest so-called 'insider attack' to target foreign troops or contractors in Afghanistan

Two men wearing Afghan security force uniforms opened fire inside a military base in southern Afghanistan, killing two Nato service members before being shot dead themselves, the international force said.

Nato offered few details about the shooting in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province, which appeared to be the latest so-called "insider attack" to target foreign troops or contractors in the country. Afghan officials said they had no immediate details about the attack.

In a statement, Nato said the two men in Afghan uniforms opened fire on a vehicle with international troops inside it. Both shooters were killed when Nato forces returned fire, it said.

Nato did not elaborate, nor did it identify the nationalities of the international troops killed nor the base at which the attack took place. It said the attackers wore "Afghan National Defence and Security Forces uniforms", which include the country's police, military and border patrol.

The motive for the attack was not immediately known and no group claimed responsibility for the assault. In past attacks, Taliban insurgents have been known to wear Afghan police or military uniforms to stage attacks on the international troops. Others have opened fire apparently on their own accord, including an Afghan soldier who last year killed Major General Harold J Greene, the highest-ranked US officer to be killed in combat since 1970 in the Vietnam War.

The shooting is the third "insider attack" on foreign forces this year. In January, three American civilian contractors were shot dead at Kabul airport by an Afghan soldier who was also killed. In April, an American soldier was killed by an Afghan soldier inside the compound of the governor of eastern Nangarhar province's city of Jalalabad.

Meanwhile on Wednesday, Afghan forces were at risk of being overrun after hundreds of insurgents launched a mass attack days earlier on a district headquarters in Helmand province's Musa Qala district, said Karim Atal, the head of Helmand's provincial council. Mr Atal said the central government had yet to send reinforcements.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph