Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Nato troops killed in Afghanistan

Nato said three of its service members have been killed in eastern Afghanistan, but provided no further details.

The statement did not provide a nationality nor details of the type of attack that killed the three.

Troops from various nations serve in eastern Afghanistan.

The deaths bring to 103 the number of foreign troops killed so far this year. Of those, 78 were from the United States.

Foreign combat troops are due to leave Afghanistan at the end of 2014.

In other violence on Saturday and Sunday, authorities said four explosions in the Charcheno district of southern Uruzgan province killed seven civilians.

Uruzgan provincial police chief spokesman Fared Ayel said a father and two of his children were killed when the motorcycle they were on hit a roadside bomb. He said that another three bombs in the same district on Saturday killed four people and wounded three.

Violence has been increasing around Afghanistan, especially in the east and south, as insurgents try to take advantage of the withdrawal of foreign troops to regain lost territory.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph