Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

New arrest over Kenya mall attack

Another arrest has been made over the deadly Westgate mall attack, Kenya's interior minister says.

The terror attack left 67 people dead in a four-day siege.

Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said the arrest was made on Sunday, but refused to give any further details.

Kenyan officials have arrested 12 people in connection with the attack, but three have been freed.

Mr Lenko declined to say if any of those arrested had been in the mall during the attack.

AP

Investigators have also identified a car used by the gunmen, from the Somalia-based Islamist group al-Shabab, and found in it "an assortment of illegal weapons," said Mr Lenku.

The four-day siege, which included the collapse of part of the mall, left 67 people dead, according to officials. The Red Cross says 59 people remain missing, though the government puts that number at zero.

Kenyans have become increasingly frustrated over the government's unwillingness to share information about the attack. Almost no details have been released about what happened after the first hours of the siege.

"We ask you to bear with us," he said, of the government's unwillingness to share information.

While the mall was a chaotic scene for many hours after the attack began, with people moving in and out of the upscale shopping center, Mr Lenku insisted no terrorists could have escaped.

"Our forces sealed off every point of exit," he said. "It was completely secured."

Earlier on Sunday, about 200 Kenyan Muslims held a rally near the mall to remember the dead and call for peace.

"We condemn the terror attack on Westgate Mall," said one sign. "One Country. One People. One Love. Kenya Asia Muslims," said another.

Many of those at the rally were from Kenya's "Asian" community, the descendants of people who came from colonial India - what is now India, Pakistan and Bangladesh - to work in Kenya more than a century ago.

AP

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph