Belfast Telegraph

Friday 25 July 2014

New Sars-like virus case in France

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned the new Sars-like illness is a 'threat to the entire world'

A second case of a deadly new respiratory virus related to Sars has been confirmed in France, the country's health ministry has said.

A hospital roommate of a 65-year-old man who initially contracted the virus has tested positive, a ministry statement issued on Sunday said.

The two shared a room for a few days in late April at Valenciennes hospital in northern France, and hence were in "prolonged and close contact". Both are now in hospital in nearby Lille.

Four suspected cases, all people who had contact with the initial patient, were false alarms.

The novel coronavirus has killed 18 people since being identified last year in the Middle East, out of 30 confirmed cases reported to the World Health Organisation since September 2012.

The first France patient had just returned from a holiday in Dubai.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz