Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Newsaper bids to make peace with Mexico's drug lords

By Rupert Cornwell

After seeing two of its reporters killed in less than two years, the leading newspaper in Ciudad Juarez has issued a remarkable plea for guidance on its coverage from the drug cartels — acknowledging that the latter, not the government, effectively runs what is Mexico's most violent city.

In a front-page editorial on Sunday, El Diario de Juarez asked the two cartels fighting for control of drug trafficking in the city, across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas, to say what they want from the newspaper so it can continue to operate without further death or intimidation of its staff.

“We ask you to explain what you want from us, what we should try to publish or not publish, so we know what to expect,” said the editorial, addressed to “leaders of the different organisations that are fighting for control of |Ciudad”.

“This is not a surrender,” the newspaper insisted, but the loss of two reporters since 2008 had been an “irreparable sorrow for all of us who work here”. Even in war, it noted, there were guarantees and protocols aimed at protecting the journalists whose job it was to cover the fighting.

The editorial was the second on the subject by El Diario since gunmen last week attacked two of its photographers, one a new employee, the other an intern. The new employee, 21-year-old Luis Carlos Santiago, was killed and the intern was badly wounded as they left the office to have lunch on Thursday. In 2008, one of the paper's crime reporters was shot dead outside his home while taking his daughters to school.

The Chihuahua state attorney yesterday insisted that Mr Santiago's death was because of a “personal problem” and was “not related to his work as a journalist”. But there is little doubt about the risks associated with journalism in Mexico. According to the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), 22 journalists have been killed since President Felipe Calderon sent in the army to eradicate the cartels in 2006. At least seven more have gone missing and other journalists have had to leave the country, the CPJ says in a report to Mr Calderon.

But despite the price — an estimated 28,000 people have died in drug war-related violence since 2006 — the cartels still hold sway.

“Even in one of the places where violence is worst, El Diario was still doing a lot of good reporting,” Carlos Lauria, a CPJ official, said. “The fact that they're giving up is really bad.”

In its editorial, the paper accused the government of doing nothing to protect the press, despite promises from Mr Calderon when he was a candidate. It had addressed its plea to the cartels |because they were now the real authorities in Ciudad Juarez.

In its report, the CPJ warned that criminal organisations were now “trying to directly influence and battle for the control of information,” Mr Lauria said. This state of affairs was “a national crisis” that extended far beyond the press and affected the fundamental rights of thousands of Mexicans.

It accused Mexico's federal government of “failing to take responsibility for widespread attacks on free expression,” noting that less than 10 per cent of crimes against media representatives had been successfully prosecuted. The report also said some Mexican journalists have been corrupted by the cartels.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph