Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Nigerians 'were told of school raid plan'

By AP Reporters

Nigerian security officials failed to act on a warning about a militant group's raid on a boarding school that led to the abduction of more than 300 girls, Amnesty International has said.

The human rights organisation cited "multiple interviews with credible sources" in asserting that Nigerian security forces had four hours of notice about the April 15 attack by Boko Haram in north-eastern Nigeria.

Amnesty says an inability to muster troops and fear of engaging with better equipped forces prevented the army from being deployed. The Nigerian military's failure to find the girls has drawn international attention to an escalating Islamic extremist insurrection that has killed more than 1,500 people so far this year. Boko Haram, whose name means 'Western education is sinful', has threatened to sell the girls.

Yesterday British experts arrived in the Nigerian capital Abuja to help find the girls being held by Islamic militants in north-eastern Nigeria as an international effort began taking hold.

Boko Haram has killed more than 1,500 people this year.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph