Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 23 November 2014

Nine dead as storm ravages Sardinia

Massive floods have struck the island of Sardinia, Italy (AP/Diego Manunta)
Massive floods have struck the island of Sardinia, Italy (AP/Diego Manunta)

At least nine people have died after a violent rainstorm flooded parts of the Mediterranean island of Sardinia, Italian news reports said tonight.

Olbia mayor Gianni Giovanelli told Sky TG24 that the city had been destroyed by the "apocalyptic" storm, with several dead and several missing. Bridges were felled by swollen rivers and water levels reached three metres in some places.

Local newspaper L'Unione Sarda said the nine dead included a policeman who was helping to escort an ambulance when the car he was travelling in was involved in the collapse of a bridge in Dorgali.

The city of Gallura was hardest hit with six dead, the newspaper said, including three people whose car was swept away in the collapse of another bridge.

AP

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz