Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Nine missing after IS Libya attack

Nine foreign workers are unaccounted for after Islamic State fighters attacked an oilfield in Libya, reports say.

Several security personnel were killed in Friday afternoon's attack at the site in Al Ghani, south of Sirte, a n Austrian Foreign Ministry official says.

Security teams retook the site but nine foreign workers are unaccounted for including one Austrian, one Czech and the seven others, who are non-EU citizens.

No demands have been made by any group or individual for their return.

The Czech Foreign Ministry confirmed that a Czech national was missing after the attack. It said one of its officials would fly to the region as soon as possible, while Austrian officials said Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz was conferring with high-ranking interior and defence ministry officials as well as the Austrian Embassy in Tunisia, which was overseeing Libyan affairs.

One of the officials said the attack had been on a site run by VAOS, an Austrian company that offers construction services to oil companies.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph