Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

'No injuries' in shooter video

A surveillance video shot after the killing of a teenager in Florida shows the man who shot him being led in handcuffs from a police car, and a lawyer for the victim's family said it is obvious the shooter did not have the injuries his supporters have claimed.

Sanford Police Sergeant David Morgenstern confirmed that the video being shown by ABC News is of neighbourhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

The 28-year-old's head and face are visible throughout and he is dressed in a red and black fleece jacket. Police are shown frisking Zimmerman whose hands are handcuffed behind his back. They then lead him into a building.

Zimmerman said he was pursuing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was not armed, because the youth was acting suspiciously. He said he lost sight of the black teenager and Martin then attacked him as he headed back to his vehicle. Zimmerman's father is white and his mother is Hispanic.

Zimmerman told police he fired in self-defence and he was not arrested, sparking widespread public outrage and protests across the country.

His lawyer, Craig Sonner, has said in more than one interview that his client's nose was broken during the fight with Trayvon, and the Orlando Sentinel, citing anonymous sources, has reported that the victim had grabbed Zimmerman's head and banged it several times against the pavement. A statement from police said the newspaper's story was "consistent" with evidence handed to prosecutors.

Mr Sonner said the gash on the back of Zimmerman's head probably was serious enough for stitches, but he waited too long for treatment so the wound was already healing. Miguel Meza, who identified himself as Zimmerman's cousin, said Zimmerman had been in "the fight of his life".

"This certainly doesn't look like a man who police said had his nose broken and his head repeatedly smashed into the sidewalk," Ben Crump, a lawyer for Trayvon's family, said in a statement. "George Zimmerman has no apparent injuries in this video, which dramatically contradicts his version of the events of February 26."

Since the shooting, Zimmerman's supporters say he has gone into hiding and that he and his family have received death threats.

Trayvon's supporters, including a host of outspoken celebrities and civil rights leaders who have appeared on television for the past two weeks, do not believe Zimmerman's story. They want him arrested and prosecuted.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph