Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Officer acquitted over fatal shooting of black driver to receive 48,500 dollars

The Minnesota police officer who was acquitted in last year's fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile will receive 48,500 US dollars (£37,600) as part of a separation agreement.

The Minneapolis suburb of St Anthony said Jeronimo Yanez is no longer with its police department.

Details of the agreement were released through a public information request. Mr Yanez will also be paid for up to 600 hours of unused compensatory time.

Mr Castile, a 32-year-old elementary school cafeteria worker, was shot by Mr Yanez during a traffic stop on July 6 2016, after Mr Castile told the officer he was armed.

Mr Castile had a permit for his gun. The shooting gained widespread attention after Mr Castile's girlfriend, who was in the car along with her then-four-year-old daughter, live-streamed its aftermath on Facebook.

Mr Yanez, who is Latino, was acquitted of manslaughter and other charges in June. On the day of the verdict, the city announced the "public will be best served" if Mr Yanez were no longer an officer.

On Monday, the city said the agreement "ends all employment rights" for Mr Yanez.

"Since Officer Yanez was not convicted of a crime, as a public employee, he would have appeal and grievance rights if terminated," it said in a statement.

"A reasonable voluntary separation agreement brings to a close one part of this horrible tragedy. The City concluded this was the most thoughtful way to move forward and help the community-wide healing process proceed."

Mr Castile's uncle, Clarence Castile, said he was glad Mr Yanez will no longer be an officer.

As part of the agreement, the city is released from lawsuits by Mr Yanez.

Mr Yanez had been with the St Anthony Police Department since November 2011. His annual salary at the time of the shooting was more than 72,600 US dollars (£56,300), not including overtime pay, according to documents released by the city.

His acquittal led to days of protests, including one in St Paul that shut down an interstate for hours and ended with 18 arrests. At a recent city council meeting, residents of St Anthony called on the city's mayor to resign.

After the trial, Mr Castile's mother, Valerie Castile, reached a nearly three million US dollars (£2.4 million) settlement with the city, precluding a wrongful death lawsuit.

AP

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph