Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Pakistan to present list of Taliban open to peace talks

Published 10/01/2016

Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are scheduled to meet in Islamabad on Monday to discuss a road map for peace talks
Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are scheduled to meet in Islamabad on Monday to discuss a road map for peace talks

Pakistan will present a list of Taliban willing to negotiate with Kabul at a four-nation meeting this week aimed at reviving the Afghan peace process, an Afghan official said.

Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are scheduled to meet in Islamabad on Monday to discuss a road map for peace talks. The meeting will not include the Taliban.

Javid Faisal, deputy spokesman for chief executive Abdullah Abdullah, said Pakistan's list will include Taliban who do and do not want talks with Kabul on ending the 15-year war.

Faisal said Pakistan has agreed to cut off financial support to Taliban fighters based in Pakistani cities, including Quetta and Peshawar. Insurgents based in Pakistan would not be allowed to resettle in Afghanistan, he added.

The agreement would also include "bilateral co-operation on eliminating terrorism," Faisal said.

"Those who are interested in peace can join the dialogue, but those who wish to continue the fight will be targeted through joint counter-terrorism platforms," Faisal said, referring to bilateral agreements.

Faisal said the terms had been agreed to during a visit to Kabul last month by Pakistan's powerful army chief of staff Gen Raheel Sharif, though discussions had begun earlier.

Pakistan has consistently denied US and Afghan allegations that it gives financial or material support to Afghanistan's Taliban. The CIA has publicly accused Pakistan of supporting the Haqqani group, a Taliban affiliate and US-declared terrorist group.

Monday's meeting in Islamabad could revive a process that collapsed last summer after Afghanistan announced that Mullah Mohammad Omar, founder and leader of the Taliban, had died in a Pakistani hospital more than two years ago.

The announcement led the Taliban to pull out of the talks after just one meeting hosted by Islamabad. A subsequent power struggle within the Taliban has raised questions about who would represent the insurgents if and when the talks with Kabul are restarted.

The Taliban have stepped up attacks since the US and Nato formally ended their combat mission a year ago, and the insurgents are battling local security forces on several fronts. Last year the Taliban seized the northern city of Kunduz and held it for three days before being driven out by a costly counter-offensive.

In the southern Helmand province, government forces have been struggling to fend off Taliban advances for weeks. The Taliban say they captured a government compound in the strategic Sangin district over the weekend, claims denied by Afghan officials.

The Taliban are expected to keep up the fight even if peace talks get off the ground in order to secure territory and leverage in the negotiations.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph