Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 26 July 2014

Pakistani army claims to have killed over 1,000 Taliban fighters

Pakistani security forces fought Taliban militants on the outskirts of the main city in the north-west’s Swat Valley and entered two other Taliban-held towns there, the army has said, foreshadowing what could become bloody urban battles.

A top government official said the offensive near Afghanistan had already killed more than 1,000 Taliban fighters, while a group of pro-government religious leaders endorsed the operation, but condemned US missile strikes in the north-west.

The developments underscored Pakistan’s resolve and frustration in its battle against militancy.

Washington has pressed Islamabad to crack down on al Qaida and Taliban strongholds along the Afghan frontier, saying the militants threaten not only US and Nato troops in Afghanistan but also nuclear-armed Pakistan’s future. But many in Pakistan believe the militancy here has increased because of US intervention in Afghanistan.

Recent Taliban forays into a district just 60 miles from the capital, Islamabad, seem to have swayed many Pakistanis to support the most recent military operation, but that could easily change if the toll on the hundreds of thousands of civilians displaced mounts, and if more US missiles strikes stoke greater popular discontent.

In giving the 1,000-plus death toll yesterday, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said the operation in Swat and surrounding areas would “continue till the last Taliban are flushed out”. It was not possible to independently verify the figure. The territories bombarded over the past three weeks are now too dangerous for journalists to freely visit.

In a statement this afternoon, the army said 25 militants and a soldier died in the previous 24 hours.

Security forces were facing off with militants in “intense fire engagements” on the outskirts of Swat’s main town, Mingora, where many of the estimated 4,000 Taliban fighters in the valley are believed to be holed up, the statement said.

It also said security forces had surrounded and entered the towns of Matta and Kanju to take on the militants, and it requested civilians still in those areas stay away from the Taliban hide-outs. Troops were making gains in remote Piochar area, the rear base of Swat Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah, it added.

“The operation is going in the right direction as we had planned,” Mr Malik said in a televised news conference from Mardan, where he went to relief camps to see some of the new refugees. “I cannot give a time but we will try (to complete the operation) at the earliest.”

The military did not detail how many ground troops were involved in the latest advances.

Pakistan’s army is geared towards fighting a conventional battle again long-time rival India on the plains of the Punjab region using tanks and artillery, and it has limited experience battling guerrillas in urban settings.

Its most recent major offensive, in the Bajur tribal region, drew praise from US officials for dismantling a virtual Taliban mini-state, but was criticised for the large amount of destruction it caused. The number of civilians killed in Bajur is unknown.

At a convention in Islamabad, hundreds of religious scholars and leaders denounced suicide attacks and other Taliban tactics in urging the government to continue the operation until peace is restored. The attendees also blasted the US missile strikes, saying Pakistan should take up the matter at the United Nations.

“Internally, terrorists were attempting to weaken Pakistan by spreading terrorism and killing people and on the other hand drone attacks are on. This is a conspiracy against Pakistan and we will foil it,” said Sahibzada Fazl Karim, one of the speakers.

US officials say the missile strikes are a critical tool in killing top militants, but Pakistan has protested against them, though many analysts believe the two countries have a secret deal allowing the attacks.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz