Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Penis transplant patient now 'complete man'

Published 18/05/2016

The recipient of the first US penis transplant has said he is looking forward to walking out of hospital a "complete" man.

Thomas Manning was upbeat on Wednesday as he continued to recover from the 15-hour operation, which took place last week at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

The 64-year-old, from Halifax, Massachusetts, said he does not feel any pain and that the swelling and discolouration of his new organ appear to be diminishing.

Doctors had hoped to release him sometime this week, but Mr Manning said he will first undergo a largely cosmetic procedure on Monday.

Mr Manning's penis was amputated in 2012 after he was diagnosed with penile cancer.

Doctors are optimistic he will be urinating normally again in a few weeks and will eventually regain the ability to function sexually. Mr Manning says he is in no rush.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph