Phil Hughes state funeral cancelled
A planned state funeral for tragic Australian cricket star Phil Hughes has been called off, New South Wales state premier Mike Baird said today.
Rising test star Hughes, 25, died on November 27, two days after being struck by a short-pitched ball during a match at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
More than 5,000 people, including former Australia team-mates and players from around the world, attended a funeral service in Hughes' home town of Macksville on Wednesday.
New South Wales planned a funeral to honour Hughes' contribution to cricket in his home state, but Mr Baird said the ceremony had been cancelled after consultation with Hughes' family and Cricket Australia.
In a statement, Mr Baird said: "All parties felt that given the enormous outpouring of support at last Wednesday's funeral, that a state memorial service would no longer need to be held."