Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Police probe Tumblr post after 29 injured in Manhattan blast

By Karen Matthews

Published 19/09/2016

FBI agents examine the scene of the bombing in Manhattan’s Chelsea area
FBI agents examine the scene of the bombing in Manhattan’s Chelsea area
New York governor Andrew Cuomo (centre) and city mayor Bill de Blasio, right, beside a mangled dumpster

The New York Police Department are currently vetting a Tumblr post claiming to be written by the person who planted a bomb that injured at least 29 people in Manhattan on Saturday night.

The post titled "I Am The NY Bomber" has been taken down by Tumblr - but sources within the police department told The New York Daily News that they are taking the page's threats seriously.

"The explosives detonated in New York City, that was me," the posting reads.

"Those were just some tests, I know where I have made errors and I will not make the same mistake next time."

The authenticity of the posting has not been confirmed by authorities.

"I did it because I cannot stand society.

"I cannot live in a world where homosexuals like myself as well as the rest of the LGBTQ+ community are looked down upon by society," the author continues.

"I don't know exactly how I feel about taking human lives.

"I suppose I'm just going to have to move forward knowing that what I am doing had a purpose and will in fact make a difference."

Officials found another explosive device just four blocks away from the blast in the Chelsea area late on Saturday night.

New York governor Andrew Cuomo has said the explosion that rocked the crowded neighbourhood does not appear to be linked to international terrorism.

Mr Cuomo said 1,000 additional law enforcement officers were being deployed after the blast in a primarily residential neighbourhood on Manhattan's west side that is known for its art galleries and large gay population.

He encouraged New Yorkers to go about their day as usual.

"We're not going to let them win," Mr Cuomo said at the scene.

"We're not going to let them instil fear."

The Democratic governor said the preliminary investigation did not appear to show a link to international terror, and he noted that no terror group had taken credit for it.

Authorities said the Manhattan blast did not appear to be connected to a pipe-bomb explosion earlier on Saturday in New Jersey that forced the cancellation of a charity run.

He noted that the bombs included different materials.

A law enforcement official said a second device that officers investigated four streets from the scene appeared to be a pressure cooker attached to wiring and a mobile phone. The official said the device was found inside a plastic bag on West 27th Street.

The device was removed with a robot and taken to a department firing range in the Bronx.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph