Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 28 December 2014

Priest removed over affair in 1960s

A US Roman Catholic priest who had a sexual relationship with a high school girl more than 40 years ago has been removed from his position
A US Roman Catholic priest who had a sexual relationship with a high school girl more than 40 years ago has been removed from his position

A US Roman Catholic priest who admitted having a sexual relationship with a high school girl more than 40 years ago has been removed from his position.

And a high-ranking official who oversaw the background checks of priests has resigned.

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles announced that Father Martin P O'Loghlen, who worked at Holy Name of Mary Church in San Dimas, was removed from any priestly activities.

The archdiocese said it was reacting to inquiries from a New York Times reporter researching an article about Fr O'Loghlen.

The 74-year-old priest is accused of having a long-term sexual relationship with the teenage girl beginning in 1960, and seeking her forgiveness later, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Cardinal Roger M Mahony separately accepted the resignation of the Archdiocesan Vicar for Clergy, Monsignor Michael Meyers.

Archdiocese spokesman Tod Tamberg told the Times that Mgr Meyers had been in charge of procedures intended to ensure that no sexual predators remained in ministry positions. He had held that position since 2009.

The archdiocese said it had not received any complaints about Fr O'Loghlen during the two years he had been assigned to the San Dimas church.

Church officials said they did not fully consult records that revealed Fr O'Loghlen's past admission of sexual misconduct.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz