Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 25 October 2014

Primark to compensate victims as factory toll reaches 382

People look for survivors after an eight-story building with a floor occupied by Primark collapsed (AP)
People look for survivors after an eight-story building with a floor occupied by Primark collapsed (AP)

Primark has announced it is to compensate victims of the factory collapse in Bangl-adesh that has so far claimed the lives of at least 382 people.

In a statement last night, the low-cost fashion retailer -- which trades as Penneys in Ireland -- said: "We have partnered with a local NGO to address the immediate needs of victims, including the provision of emergency food aid to families.

"We will also pay compensation to the victims of this disaster. This will include long-term aid for children who have lost parents, financial aid for those injured and payments to the families of the deceased.

"We are fully aware of our responsibility. We urge these other retailers to come forward and offer assistance."

The news came as rescue officials said that, despite frantic efforts, it was now unlikely any more people would be found.

Mohammed Sohel Rana, the politically connected owner of the building who was arrested at the weekend as he tried to flee into India, was brought to the Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate's Court yesterday.

He wore a bullet-proof vest and was led away to an unknown detention centre after the judge agreed to a request from police to hold him for 15 days before filing charges.

The crimes he is accused of carry a maximum punishment of seven years in prison. Mr Rana is one of seven people arrested, and police are still looking for another factory boss who they said was a Spanish citizen.

Last week, when cracks were first noticed, Mr Rana allegedly insisted that there was no danger, even though employees from a bank housed at the location were evacuated.

Garment factory managers told employees to carry on with their work or their wages would be docked.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz