Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Republican George Pataki ends White House bid

Published 30/12/2015

Republican George Pataki has ended his White House bid (AP)
Republican George Pataki has ended his White House bid (AP)

George Pataki has dropped out of the race for the US Republican presidential nomination, with just over a month to go before the first contests begin.

The former New York governor made the announcement in an advert shown on NBC affiliates in New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina.

"While tonight is the end of my journey for the White House as I suspend my campaign for president, I'm confident we can elect the right person, someone who will bring us together and who understands that politicians, including the president, must be the people's servant and not their master," said Mr Pataki, 70.

A centrist Republican who led New York through the September 11 2001 attacks, Mr Pataki failed to gain traction in a crowded field of 2016 candidates during an election season that has so far favoured outsiders like billionaire businessman Donald Trump.

Bruce Breton, a local elected official and member of Mr Pataki's New Hampshire steering committee, said Mr Pataki called him on Tuesday to say he would be dropping out of the race. Mr Breton said Mr Pataki's campaign had struggled to raise money and garner media attention.

"He said he couldn't get any traction. He worked hard, it's just a different type of year," Mr Breton said.

Mr Pataki had hung his hopes on doing well in early-voting New Hampshire, but he has barely registered in state or national polls.

He never made it on to a main Republican debate stage, where he would have had the chance to reach millions more viewers.

Mr Pataki appeared especially frustrated by Mr Trump's rise and zeroed in on his rival earlier this month, declaring the New York property mogul unfit to be US president.

"Donald Trump is the Know-Nothing candidate of the 21st century and cannot be our nominee," he said.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph