Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Resort security upped after looting

Police vowed to restore order in the hurricane-stricken Mexico resort of Los Cabos after looting emptied shop shelves and forced residents to protect their homes.

Enrique Galindo, national commissioner of the federal police, said seven people, two of them carrying firearms, had been detained on suspicion of attempted looting.

He said police would aggressively enforce the law.

There were reports of gunfire during Wednesday night, and residents in Los Cabos lit large bonfires to try to protect their neighbourhoods as they faced a fourth day without power or running water following the blow from Hurricane Odile.

Police announced they would stop and question anyone on the streets after nightfall to make sure they had legitimate business at that hour.

"The problem is no longer the hurricane," resident David Garcia said. "Everything started with the looting. Not even eight hours had passed since the hurricane before people started destroying stores."

Baja California Sur state prosecutors reported the first known death from Odile, saying a Korean citizen drowned when he and another man tried to cross a swollen creek in the port town of Santa Rosalia during the storm. The second man was missing.

Mexican marines and sailors were searching for two foreigners reported missing aboard a yacht in the Sea of Cortez, also known as the Gulf of California. Their nationalities were not released.

Los Cabos' heavily damaged international airport was being powered by an emergency generator from the federal electricity commission.

The US state department advised stranded travellers to go there as soon as possible and be prepared to wait as long as necessary to get on a flight out.

At the airport, thousands queued under a burning sun as four planes waited on the tarmac.

"We feel relieved ... even if we still have to coordinate our next flight," said Courtney Tague from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

"After seeing what was going on - massive looting, no cellphone, no running water ... it was frightening."

Tourism secretary Claudia Ruiz Massieu said 8,000 people, including tourists and locals anxious to leave, would be flown out.

The Mexican navy said it was helping supply food, mattresses, blankets and hot meals prepared in mobile kitchens.

Water and electricity service remained out and phone service was intermittent. Electric commission officials said some 2,500 power poles were toppled by Odile, which struck late on Sunday as a Category 3 storm.

Inside a waterlogged Wal-Mart superstore, there was nothing but puddles, rubbish, empty shelves and graffiti on the wall: "Long live crime!"

Some people queued with jugs and other containers at a water station.

Officials reported that the town of Bahia de Los Angeles in neighbouring Baja California state was cut off because the storm damaged the only road serving it. A long stretch of asphalt was washed out, and a tractor-trailer lay on its side in the mud.

In the Baja California Sur state capital of La Paz, where Odile hit with less intensity, Mayor Esthela Ponce said 10,000 homes were damaged. Electricity and running water had been restored to about 30% of customers.

After hammering the Baja California Peninsula and other parts of northern Mexico in recent days, the remnants of Odile soaked parts of the US south-west and was dissipating near the Arizona-New Mexico border.

To the south, Hurricane Polo weakened into a tropical storm off Mexico's Pacific coast. It was headed in the general direction of Los Cabos, but forecasters said it appeared likely the centre would remain offshore and sweep past on Sunday.

The US national hurricane centre said Polo was 180 miles south of Cabo Corrientes, with maximum sustained winds of 70mph. It was moving north-west at 8mph.

Out in the north Atlantic, Hurricane Edouard also weakened into a tropical storm. It was predicted to remain far from land.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph