Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Romanian nightclub owner questioned after fatal blaze

Published 06/11/2015

A man waves a large Romanian flag during the third day of protests calling for early elections in Bucharest (AP)
A man waves a large Romanian flag during the third day of protests calling for early elections in Bucharest (AP)
A woman shouts anti-corruption slogans during the third day of protests in Bucharest, Romania (AP)

Romanian prosecutors have questioned an owner of the Bucharest nightclub where a fire killed 32 people and injured 180.

Anti-corruption prosecutors questioned Paul Gancea, one of the three owners of the Colectiv nightclub, where the fire broke out last Friday night, the deadliest of its kind in Romania.

Mr Gancea was responsible for securing permits for the club. He was detained on Tuesday with the other two owners for "grave negligence and irresponsibility" and a "high level of social danger".

Agerpres news agency reported that prosecutors were taking documents from the district town hall where the club was located and the financial administration authorities.

Also on Friday, Dutch foreign minister Bert Koenders said that nine survivors of the fire will be flown to the Netherlands to receive treatment in specialist burns units at three Dutch hospitals.

Some 90 people remain in hospital in serious or critical condition in hospitals around the capital, many suffering from burns.

"I'm pleased that Dutch expertise can be used to give the victims the best possible care," Mr Koenders said.

The fire sparked mass protests and led to the resignation of prime minister Victor Ponta and his cabinet on Wednesday.

Interior minister Gabriel Oprea announced on Friday he would not stay on under an interim government and was immediately handing over his ministerial duties to Ilie Botos, a state secretary in the ministry who was Romania's general prosecutor from 2003 to 2006.

Mr Oprea had been under pressure to resign even before the fire, after a policeman died when his motorbike hit a hole on October 20 while escorting Mr Oprea's motorcade.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph