Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Rome mayor Virginia Raggi rejects city's 2024 Olympic bid

Published 21/09/2016

Rome's mayor Virginia Raggi (AP)
Rome's mayor Virginia Raggi (AP)

Rome mayor Virginia Raggi has rejected the city's bid for the 2024 Olympics, effectively dooming the capital's candidacy for the second time in four years.

If approved by the city assembly, Ms Raggi's rejection would leave only Los Angeles, Paris and Budapest, Hungary, in the running for the 2024 Games. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will decide on the host city in September 2017.

At a news conference in city hall, Ms Raggi said it would be financially "irresponsible" to pursue the bid any further given the city is barely able to get its trash picked up. She also noted the debts that previous Olympic host cities have incurred.

"In light of the data we have, these Olympics are not sustainable. They will bring only debt," Ms Raggi said.

Ms Raggi drew up a motion to withdraw the bid and put it before the city assembly on Wednesday.

"It will be the city assembly, the sovereign body and democratically elected organ, that will express its position," Ms Raggi said. "We have illustrated our political position today. If it's accepted by the assembly we'll deal with the ensuing consequences (to formalise it.)"

Ms Raggi had been scheduled to meet with Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malago before going public with her decision. But 45 minutes after the meeting was scheduled to begin, Mr Malago and the rest of the delegation left city hall saying Ms Raggi had not shown up.

Mr Malago bitterly complained about what he called Ms Raggi's "disrespect" and ignorance of the bidding process and costs and urged her not to put the motion before the city assembly.

"Don't talk about things you know nothing about," he said at a news conference at CONI headquarters.

Ms Raggi, who was elected in June representing the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement, campaigned with the message that an Olympic bid was unsustainable for a city struggling to emerge from years of corruption and poor public services. She said she was merely being consistent with her campaign position.

Her rejection marks Rome's second withdrawal in four years after then-premier Mario Monti stopped the city's plans to bid for the 2020 Olympics because of financial problems.

The Rome bid was approved by the city assembly last year with 38 votes in favour and only six against - meaning Ms Raggi may have to put the issue up for another vote to officially end the candidacy.

The IOC requires bidders to have support from the government and city.

"It's very upsetting," bid vice president Luca Pancalli said. "It's like we started a race and someone gets out of the pool in the middle of the race and says we're not racing any longer."

Previous mayor Ignazio Marino, who was forced out over an expense account scandal, had supported the bid. And Premier Matteo Renzi has been a big fan of the candidacy since he helped launch it in 2014. He has said the bid would be doomed if Rome's mayor does not support it.

A budget of 24 million euros (£20 million) has already been allotted - much of it spent - to the bid committee, even though candidacy head Luca Cordero di Montezemolo has no salary.

It was another stinging blow for the IOC's Olympic Agenda 2020 programme, which was designed to make bidding for and hosting the games more flexible and more affordable.

"Rome was able to bid only after the IOC changed it's rules with Agenda 2020 and reduced the costs of putting together a candidacy," Mr Malago said.

The bid is slated to be centered around Rome's historic monuments: a cycling sprint alongside the Roman Forum, beach volleyball at the Circus Maximus and the marathon passing through St Peter's Square and finishing under the Arch of Constantine. Plus, a nightly parade of athletes at the Colosseum.

Relying on many venues that were used for the 1960 Olympics in Rome, the candidacy proposes using existing structures for 70 percent of the required sites. The budget is projected at 5.3 billion euros (£4.55 billion) - 2.1 billion euros for the construction of permanent venues and the balance for temporary venues.

The bid is based on three clusters: the existing Stadio Olimpico and surrounding Foro Italico complex for athletics and swimming; the Fiera convention centre near the airport for indoor sports; and an athletes village and multi-sports arena at the Tor Vergata University on the city's outskirts.

The withdrawal is another clear signal that the IOC still has a lot of work to do to convince cities that hosting the games is a boon and not a burden.

Voters in Hamburg rejected the German city's 2024 bid in a referendum. Boston also dropped out last year amid a lack of public and political support and was replaced by Los Angeles.

The Olympic Agenda 20/20 reforms were aimed at avoiding a repeat of the bidding for the 2022 Winter Games, which was depleted by the withdrawal of four cities - Stockholm; Oslo; Lviv, Ukraine; and Krakow, Poland - for political or financial reasons. Many politicians and taxpayers were scared off by the billions spent by Russia on the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.

Planned 2022 bids by Munich and St Moritz-Davos in Switzerland were dropped earlier. With only two final contenders for 2022, Beijing defeated Almaty, Kazakhstan, in the IOC vote last year.

Ms Raggi, a 38-year-old lawyer who is Rome's first female mayor, said during her candidacy that the city needed to focus on ordinary issues before it should consider "extraordinary events" like the Olympics.

Ms Raggi has had a rough start since taking office, with her administration falling into disarray over a spate of resignations and judicial inquiries.

During her campaign, Ms Raggi promised to fix Rome's transport, rubbish and corruption scandals.

AP

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph