Samsung recalls Galaxy Note7 after batteries explode
The recall of Samsung's Galaxy Note7 smartphone, after some phones reportedly exploded while charging, was caused by a "battery cell issue", the tech giant has said.
The flagship smartphone was due to go on sale yesterday in the UK after being unveiled last month, but advertising for the phone has now vanished from the websites of mobile operators.
The Korean firm said: "In response to recently reported cases of the new Galaxy Note7, we conducted a thorough investigation and found a battery cell issue."
Images and videos of burnt handsets have been posted on social media, while Samsung also confirmed it will offer free replacements to pre-order customers who have already received the phone.
The recall comes just days before rival Apple are due to unveil their next iPhone. Samsung and Apple are currently the two largest smartphone brands globally in terms of sales.