Saudi monarch congratulates Trump over Syrian missile strike
Saudi monarch King Salman has congratulated Donald Trump for his "courageous decision" to carry out a missile strike on Syria.
The official Saudi Press Agency reported that Salman spoke to the US president by telephone on Friday.
Saudi Arabia said the missile launch by Mr Trump was the right response to "the crimes of this regime to its people in light of the failure of the international community to stop it".
The kingdom is among the most vehement opponents of Syrian president Bashar Assad and supports Sunni rebel groups fighting to oust him.
The Sunni rulers of Saudi Arabia are engaged in a power struggle for regional dominance with Iran's Shia government, and view Tehran's support of Mr Assad as a threat to the region.
- US-led coalition killed more Syrian civilians than Isis or Russia in March, figures show
- Mosul: US-led air strikes 'leave 230 civilians dead', reports local media
- US strike on Afghanistan's Kunduz hospital was deliberate, says Médicins Sans Frontiéres boss Christopher Stokes
- Claims Jabhat al-Nusra aided by Turkish intelligence in sarin gas attacks
- Syria rebels 'may have used chemical weapons'