Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Saudi pilgrims die of poisoning

Published 08/06/2015

Four pilgrims from Saudi Arabia have died from accidental poisoning at a hotel in Iran
Four pilgrims from Saudi Arabia have died from accidental poisoning at a hotel in Iran

Four young Saudi pilgrims have died in Iran as a result of an accidental mass poisoning in their hotel, according to reports.

The official IRNA new agency said the victims included a 14-year-old girl and three young boys, all age 3.

Another 28 Saudi religious pilgrims were taken to hospital over exposure to the poison, which is commonly used to kill insects and rats.

The incident took place in the north-eastern Iranian city of Mashhad, which is home to a major Shiite Muslim Shrine.

The city is visited by nearly two million foreign pilgrims per year, coming from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Bahrain, Azerbaijan and the Indian subcontinent.

Authorities say they are investigating the incident.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph