Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Saudi-led coalition stages air strikes after Yemen ceasefire ends

Published 23/10/2016

Boys look through a hole made by a Saudi-led air strike on a bridge in Sanaa, Yemen (AP)
Boys look through a hole made by a Saudi-led air strike on a bridge in Sanaa, Yemen (AP)

A Saudi-led coalition has launched a series of air strikes around the Yemeni capital Sanaa, just hours after a 72-hour ceasefire expired, according to security officials.

They said the pre-dawn air strikes targeted military facilities belonging to the Shiite Houthi rebels fighting the internationally recognised government. They had no word on casualties or damage.

The air strikes followed a call by UN special envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed on the warring parties to extend the temporary ceasefire for at least another renewable 72 hours.

The previous truce expired at 11:59pm local time on Saturday.

Mr Ahmed said the ceasefire had largely held during the truce, "despite reported violations from both sides in several areas," and that it had enabled UN personnel to deliver food and humanitarian supplies to several previously inaccessible areas.

"We would like to build on this and we aim for a wider outreach in the next few days," he said.

There was no immediate word on whether the combatants would consider another ceasefire.

The war in Yemen began in 2014 when Houthi rebels based in the north seized Sanaa and later swept across much of the poor Arabian Peninsula country.

In March 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies launched a campaign of air strikes against the rebels.

AP

Press Association

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph