Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Saudis to fund aid appeal for Yemen

Published 19/04/2015

A Saudi-led coalition launched an air offensive against Yemen's Shiite rebels on March 26
A Saudi-led coalition launched an air offensive against Yemen's Shiite rebels on March 26

Saudi Arabia has agreed to completely cover the £183 million needed for emergency aid to avoid a humanitarian catastrophe in Yemen, the United Nations said.

The UN issued the urgent appeal last week, saying it was needed to save lives and protect 7.5 million people affected by Yemen's conflict and in dire need of medical supplies, safe drinking water, food assistance, emergency shelter and logistical support.

Purnima Kahsyap, of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Yemen, said the UN was thankful to Saudi Arabia for covering the entire appeal cost, but urged other partners to continue to provide assistance as the needs grow.

A Saudi-led coalition launched an air offensive against Yemen's Shiite rebels on March 26.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph