Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

School murder town to release tapes

The town of Newtown, Connecticut, says it will release recordings of emergency calls from the Sandy Hook primary school shooting that left 20 children and six staff dead.

A Connecticut Superior Court judge ruled last week that the tapes from last December should be released to The Associated Press news agency after a fight over the records that have been withheld by investigators.

Newtown civic chiefs said the tapes would be available tomorrow.

The state's Freedom of Information Commission ruled in September that the recordings from December 14 last year should be provided. State's attorney Stephen Sedensky, who has been appealing against the commission's ruling, declined to comment.

AP says it plans to review the content and determine what, if any, of it would meet the news co-operative's standards for publication.

AP

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph