Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Scores killed in series of blasts in Shiite suburb of Syrian capital

Published 21/02/2016

Similar explosions have hit the city before
Similar explosions have hit the city before

The death toll from three blasts in a Shiite suburb of Damascus has reached 50, with more than 200 wounded, Syrian state TV reported.

It says the bombings on Sunday targeted a vegetable market in the afternoon during rush hour.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for a triple blast in Sayyida Zeinab, saying two IS fighters set off a car bomb before detonating their explosive belts.

Residents said the attack was about half a mile from one of Shiite Islam's holiest shrines and did not damage it.

A triple explosion in Sayyida Zeinab killed 45 people last month.

The blasts came hours after two explosions in the central city of Homs killed and wounded scores of people.

The day of violence follows diplomatic moves aimed at organising a truce.

Earlier, US secretary of state John Kerry said a ''provisional agreement'' has been reached on a ceasefire in Syria's five-year civil war.

Mr Kerry, who spoke alongside Jordanian foreign minister Nasser Judeh in Amman, Jordan, revealed he had spoken earlier this morning with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, about the agreement.

Now, he said, both the US and Russia plan to reach out to the various sides of the conflict.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph