Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 31 July 2014

Search for derailment victims ends

In Lac-Megantic, the search for five bodies which remain missing after an oil train explosion has ended

The search for five bodies still missing after an oil train derailed and exploded in Canada last month, killing 47 people, has been called off.

Quebec provincial police Lieutenant Guy Lapointe said on Thursday that they have done everything possible to find the remaining bodies.

The coroner's office said it has identified 38 bodies and will work to identify the rest.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada also announced that it was finishing its on-site operations in Lac-Megantic.

A stationary Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway train with 72 tankers of crude oil rolled down an incline, derailed and slammed into the centre of Lac-Megantic on July 6. Several tankers exploded, destroying 40 buildings in the lakeside town of 6,000.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz