Belfast Telegraph

Friday 28 November 2014

Shiites demand action over bombing

An apartment block devastated by the bombing (AP)
An apartment block devastated by the bombing (AP)

Shiite Muslims in Karachi have demanded government protection from a wave of violence that has targeted them, a day after a massive bombing in the city killed 45 people.

The attack came as people were leaving a mosque in the port city, and underlined the increasing threat Pakistani Shiites face as Sunni militant groups target them in ever-bolder attacks.

At least 146 people were also wounded in the explosion and 32 of them remain in serious condition.

Thousands of people thronged a main road in Karachi for a funeral service for 15 Shiite Muslims killed in the attack. Many beat their chests and heads and chanted "Stop the brutal attacks!" They called on the government to take action against militant groups responsible for the attacks.

"Terrorists are killing us everywhere, but the state is nowhere to be seen," said Intizar Hussain, whose father died in the bombing.

It was the third mass casualty attack since the beginning of the year against Shiites. The first two killed nearly 200 people in Quetta, which is home to many Hazaras - an ethnic group comprising mostly Shiite Muslims who migrated from Afghanistan more than century ago. Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a Sunni militant group known for its virulent hatred of Shiite Muslims, claimed responsibility for the two attacks.

Last year was one of the most deadly for Shiites in the country's history. According to Human Rights Watch, more than 400 Shiite Muslims were killed in targeted attacks across Pakistan in 2012. This year could turn out to be even more dangerous with nearly 250 Shiites already killed in the three attacks.

Pakistan's intelligence agencies helped nurture Sunni militant groups like Lashkar-e-Jhangvi in the 1980s and 1990s to counter a perceived threat from neighbouring Iran, which is mostly Shiite. Pakistan banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi in 2001, but the group continues to attack Shiites. After the most recent attack in Quetta, the government launched operations against the militant group and detained the founder of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Malik Ishaq.

In an apparent attempt to deflect criticism, interior minister Rehman Malik has repeatedly criticised government officials in Punjab province where the group is based and said that they had failed to crack down on militant groups in the province.

Karachi closed for a day of mourning to honour the dead. Markets, petrol stations and transportation were closed as security officials patrolled the streets. At the site of the blast, family and friends looked through the rubble for family members missing since the explosion.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz