Six killed in a mass shooting in Michigan
A man has been arrested after a gunman reportedly drove around the Michigan city of Kalamazoo randomly shooting people.
A manhunt was launched after six people were killed and several others were injured in the shootings late on Saturday night.
One of the victims, a nine-year-old child, was in critical condition early on Sunday morning.
It was initially reported that seven people had been killed, but Mr Getting said a 14-year-old girl who was shot at a Cracker Barrel restaurant was not killed, but "gravely injured."
In all, eight people were shot in three locations Saturday, Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Paul Matyas told CNN.
He said all three shooting incidents appear to be related.
"What it looks like is we have someone just driving around, finding people and shooting them dead in their tracks," Matyas told CNN affiliate WOOD-TV.
"This is your worst nightmare, when you have somebody just driving around randomly killing people."
Michigan state policeman Lieutenant Dale Hinz told WWMT TV said police believe "the situation is contained" after arresting a man driving a car matching a description of the gunman's.
“They have taken him into custody - a man matching the description," Hinz said, adding that the man was aged 45.
“At this point this is all we know. He is being questioned right now."
Sheriff Paul Matches later told the network that the suspect "voluntarily" gave himself up after he was approached by police.
"The threat to the public is over. This is your worst nightmare when you have someone driving around killing people. There is usually a reason for this and hopefully after questioning the suspect we will know why."
The man arrested has been named as Jason Brian Dalton.
Kalamazoo County prosecutor Jeff Getting said he expects charges to be brought against Dalton on Monday.
Dalton is accused of shooting eight people -- six of them fatally -- in three separate incidents Saturday evening. A motive has not yet been determined.