Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Six killed in building collapse

A building in Philadelphia that was being demolished has collapsed with a thunderous boom, raining bricks on a neighbouring charity shop, killing six people and injuring at least 13 other people, in an accident that witnesses said was bound to happen.

Early reports from Mayor Michael Nutter had been that one woman had died in the Wednesday morning accident, but rescuers using buckets and their bare hands to move bricks and rubble kept working through the evening.

Body bags were removed from the collapse site at night, and Mr Nutter said at a news conference that authorities did not know how many people had been in the thrift shop or on the pavement.

Mr Nutter said the city's emergency workers had been "diligent, determined, focused" in their rescue efforts.

"If anyone else is in that building, they will find them," he said.

One woman was pulled from the rubble of the Salvation Army store two hours after the collapse when rescuers heard her voice, city fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers said. Rescuers had been prepared to dig through the rubble all night because they did not know how many people were in the thrift store when the building collapsed on it.

Searchers later found a 14th survivor of the collapse - a woman buried beneath the rubble. Deputy Fire Chief Robert Coyne said 61-year-old Myra Plekam was pulled from the debris more than 12 hours after the collapse and was awake and talking to rescuers.

Survivors were taken to hospitals with mostly minor injuries, and some had been treated and released by evening.

Officials from the Department of Labour and Occupational Safety and Health Administration were at the scene.

The collapse involved an empty building that once housed a first-floor sandwich shop and apartments above. The Salvation Army shop was on one side. The other side was an adult bookstore and theatre that had been taken down within the last few months.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph