Spanish terror suspects remanded
Published 29/06/2012 | 18:32
Two men wanted by the Spanish authorities over alleged terrorism offences have appeared at an extradition hearing.
Antonio Troitino Arranz and Ignacio Leron Sanchez, described by the Spanish interior ministry as senior members of the Basque separatist group ETA, appeared separately at Westminster Magistrates Court on Friday afternoon.
Both men were arrested by officers from Scotland Yard's counter terrorism command at a residential address in Hounslow, west London, at about 4am.
The court heard that Sanchez is suspected of being involved in terrorist attacks after the Spanish authorities raided his home in March 2007 and found 150kg of explosives, bomb-making equipment and ETA literature.
The 39-year-old, who had already fled, faces a maximum sentence of 12 years if is he is convicted.
Prosecutor Katherine Tyler told the court Arranz was part of a terrorist cell who planned a car bomb attack on a civil guard patrol on July 14, 1986.
They obtained a vehicle which they prepared as an explosive device, filling it with five pressure cookers and bolts and chain links, connected to 35kg of plastic explosives with remote trigger detonators.
Arranz jailed in 1989 for the attack, which killed 12 officers.
He was released in April last year after serving 24 years of his sentence. But the hearing was told that a court later revoked his release and a warrant was issued for his arrest, by which time he had already gone on the run.
Both men will re-appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on July 20.