Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Syrian shell kills Turks at home

Syrian men walk down a street between destroyed buildings where triple bombs rocked the Saadallah al-Jabri square, in Aleppo (AP/Sana)

A Syrian shell has hit a home in neighbouring Turkey, killing at least three people, including a six-year-old boy.

Abdulhakim Ayhan, mayor of the Turkish town of Akcakale along the Syrian border, said the boy and a woman were among the dead from the shelling.

Angry townspeople marched to the mayor's office to protest over the deaths.

Meanwhile at least 33 people have been killed in a series of suicide bombings that struck the Syrian city of Aleppo. Scores more were wounded in the explosions, which went off in a main square in the city, near an officers' club.

Three blasts went off at a main square in a government-controlled district of the city, while a fourth explosion detonated a few hundred yards away near the Chamber of Commerce.

Aleppo, Syria's commercial hub and largest city, has seen intensified fighting between regime forces and rebels trying to overthrow president Bashar Assad, especially after the fighters launched a new offensive last week. But it has not been the target of frequent suicide attacks, and the wave of explosions caused panic and fear among residents.

Syrian TV said the triple bombings targeted Saadallah al-Jabri square, describing them as the work of "terrorists," and said there were "multiple" casualties. Authorities refer to rebels fighting to topple Assad as terrorists and armed gangs.

"It was like a series of earthquakes," said one a shaken resident. "It was terrifying, terrifying." He said the officers' club and the hotel were almost completely destroyed.

Aleppo-based activist Mohammad Saeed said the explosions went off minutes apart."The area is heavily fortified by security and the presence of shabiha," he said, referring to pro-regime gunmen. "It makes you wonder how car bombs could reach there," he added.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which relies on a network of activists on the ground, reported dozens of casualties from the blasts, most of them members of the regime forces.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz