Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Three killed as police and protesters clash over Peru copper mine

Published 29/09/2015

There have been many clashes in Peru between police and farmers opposed to mining projects (AP)
There have been many clashes in Peru between police and farmers opposed to mining projects (AP)

At least three people were shot and killed and 17 wounded in a clash between police and highlands farmers protesting against a 7.4 billion US dollar (£4.9 billion) Chinese-owned copper mining project in Peru.

Police apparently opened fire on the protesters when they entered part of the Las Bambas mine where the plant that separates copper ore from rock is under construction.

The local health director, Jose Soplopuco, told The Associated Press that two men died en route to the regional capital of Cuzco and one at the local health clinic.

He said ambulances could not reach Challhuahuacho, the town of about 10,000 residents where the clinic is located, because police had shot at a vehicle carrying doctors.

Percy Jeronimo, the oral surgeon running the emergency room, said three of the wounded were in critical condition.

The Las Bambas project is owned by a consortium led by Chinese state giant China Minmetals. It is scheduled to begin production in 2016 and produce 400,000 metric tons of copper the following year.

President Ollanta Humala appealed to protest leaders for calm. He called Las Bambas Peru's biggest mining project on Monday.

Peru is the world's third biggest copper producer and mining accounts for about 60% of its export earnings.

But resistance by local farmers has frustrated and delayed major projects across the rugged Andean nation. Six people have been killed so far this year in anti-mining protests, including a police officer whose skull was fractured during May protests against a Mexican-owned copper mining project.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph