Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Three more charged over Jara murder

Three more people have been charged over the murder of Chilean folk singer Victor Jara during the country's 1973 military coup.

A judge in Santiago charged former military officers Hernan Chancon Soto and Patricio Vasquez Donoso with taking part in the September 16 killing.

He also charged ex-army prosecutor Ramon Melo Silva as an accomplice. They join a list of eight former army officers who were charged in late 2012 and early 2013 in the killing of the communist singer and songwriter.

"This decision has to be celebrated and we hope this investigation can continue," Jara's widow, Joan Jara, said at a press conference. "We know this marks a milestone."

Jara, whose songs tackled social and political issues, was swept up with thousands of other supporters of socialist President Salvador Allende during a military coup led by General Augusto Pinochet.

Last year, Jara's family filed a civil lawsuit in the US accusing former Chilean army Lieutenant Pedro Barrientos Nunez of ordering soldiers to torture the singer.

The lawsuit also said Barrientos personally fired the fatal shot while playing a game of "Russian roulette" inside a locker room in Santiago's Estadio Chile, where some 5,000 Allende supporters were being detained.

Barrientos, who left Chile in 1989 and is living in the US, is part of the group of officers who also face criminal charges in Chile related to the singer's killing.

He has denied all involvement, saying he was not there and did not even know who Jara was at the time of the coup.

The government estimates 3,095 people were killed during Pinochet's rule, including about 1,200 who were forcibly disappeared.

About 700 military officials still face trial in Chile and about 70 have been jailed for crimes against humanity.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph