Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 20 August 2014

Three new suspects arrested over Boston Marathon bombings

Medical workers aid injured people at the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013
Medical workers aid injured people at the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013
In this image from video provided by WBZ TV, spectators and runners run from what was described as twin explosions that shook the finish line of the Boston Marathon, Monday, April 15, 2013, in Boston.
In this image from video provided by WBZ TV, spectators and runners run from what was described as twin explosions that shook the finish line of the Boston Marathon, Monday, April 15, 2013, in Boston.
Medical workers and authorities work on the scene near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013. (AP Photo/WCVB-TV/ABC) MANDATORY CREDIT
Medical workers and authorities work on the scene near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013. (AP Photo/WCVB-TV/ABC) MANDATORY CREDIT

Three more suspects have been arrested in the Boston marathon bombings.

Police said only the three more are in custody and more details will follow. They referred all other questions to the FBI.

Three people were killed and more than 260 injured on April 15 when two bombs exploded near the finish line.

Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a gunfight with police several days later. His brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was captured and lies in a hospital prison.

Both are Russian natives who lived for several years in the US.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev's relatives have said they will claim his body now that his wife has agreed to release it. Amato DeLuca, lawyer for his widow, Katherine Russell, said that his client had just learned that the medical examiner was ready to release Tsarnaev's body and that she wants it released to his side of the family.

Police said Tsarnaev ran out of ammunition before his 19-year-old brother dragged his body under a vehicle while fleeing the scene. His cause of death has been determined but will not be made public until his remains are claimed.

"Of course, family members will take possession of the body," his uncle Ruslan Tsarni said. "We'll do it. We will do it. A family is a family."

Tsarnaev's parents are still in Russia, but he has other relatives on his side of the family in the US .

Tsarnaev's father, Anzor, announced plans last week to travel to the US in the hope of burying his elder son, but he now says he has changed his mind because he is suffering from headaches and high blood pressure.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz