Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Trump: I'll spend, spend, spend on White House bid

Published 12/08/2015

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is prepared to spend hundreds of millions on his campaign (AP)
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is prepared to spend hundreds of millions on his campaign (AP)

Billionaire Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump says he is prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on his White House campaign as long as he is doing well in the polls.

In an interview with Fox News Channel's Sean Hannity, Mr Trump was asked whether he was prepared to spend 345 million dollars (£222m) or more to fund his establishment-bucking campaign.

"Sure. You saw my income, my income is 400 million a year," the tycoon responded. "Sure, I would spend that if I am doing well!"

Mr Trump has been in the spotlight since dominating the Republican party's first televised debate last week, in which he sparred with the network's Megyn Kelly on the issue of his treatment of women.

He is still considered a long-shot candidate for the party nomination in the 2016 election, but has been leading in the polls after stirring controversy with contentious remarks about Mexican immigrants and lashing out at his opponents.

His campaign has begun soliciting fund-raising dollars through its website. Despite the appeals, campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said Mr Trump would continue to finance the campaign, but has "been overwhelmed by unsolicited contributions".

She said he would match any money coming in.

Mr Trump's campaign so far has been dominated by one firestorm after the next, the latest involving Ms Kelly's debate questions.

The former host of the US version of TV's The Apprentice, furious over what he deemed unfair treatment, lashed out at Ms Kelly and the network, telling CNN on Friday that during the debate Ms Kelly had "blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever".

But the feud between Mr Trump and Fox News, one of the most powerful voices in Republican and conservative circles, appeared to thaw on Monday after the network's chairman Roger Ailes reached out to Mr Trump directly to clear the air.

"I assured him that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness and balance," Mr Ailes said.

The network announced shortly afterwards that Mr Trump would be appearing on two of its shows, including a lengthy interview with Mr Hannity.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph