Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Turkey defends YouTube ban

Turkish officials shut down access to YouTube after an audio recording of a security meeting was leaked

Turkish officials have defended their move to block access to YouTube, citing national security concerns.

The government shut down access to the video-sharing website yesterday after an audio recording of a security meeting was leaked. In the recording, senior officials appeared to be discussing a possible military intervention in Syria.

Foreign minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the telecommunications authority requested that YouTube take down the audio recording but the company did not remove it.

Turkey last week suspended access to Twitter, which has been a conduit for links to recordings that suggest government corruption.

"Nothing is more important than Turkey's security, the well-being of the people or the individual rights of our citizens," Mr Davutoglu said.

The ban on Twitter drew international criticism as a restriction on free speech.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz