Turkish authorities 'issue arrest warrants for 42 journalists after failed coup'
Turkish authorities have issued warrants for the detention of 42 journalists and detained 31 academics, official media reported, as the government proceeded with a crackdown against people allegedly linked to a US-based Muslim cleric following a failed coup.
The state-run Anadolu news agency said the list of journalists wanted for questioning included prominent writer Nazli Ilicak, who is critical of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Mr Ilicak has opposed the government clampdown on a movement led by Fethullah Gulen, the cleric accused by Turkey of directing the July 15 coup attempt.
Mr Gulen has denied any involvement in the failed insurrection that left about 290 people dead and was put down by loyalist forces and pro-government protesters.
So far, five journalists have been detained for questioning, Anadolu reported.
Prosecutors requested their detention to shed light on the coup plot and the warrants are not related to their "journalistic activities, but possible criminal conduct," a senior official in Mr Erdogan's office said.
The list of wanted journalists, according to the pro-government Sabah newspaper, also includes news editor Erkan Acar of the Ozgur Dusunce newspaper and news show host Erkan Akkus of the Can Erzincan TV station.
Both media organizations are off-shoots of Bugun newspaper and Bugun TV, which were taken over by the government in an October 2015 police raid.
Another journalist wanted by authorities is Hanim Busra Erdal, a former columnist and legal reporter for the daily Zaman newspaper, which was taken over by authorities in March for its links to Gulen's movement.
The 31 academics, including a number of professors, were detained for questioning in Istanbul and four other provinces, Anadolu reported. Security officials also conducted a raid against the military's Istanbul-based War Academy, detaining 40 people.
The government declared a three-month state of emergency and detained more than 13,000 people in the military, judiciary and other institutions following the foiled coup.
Those rounded up include nearly 9,000 soldiers, 2,100 judges and prosecutors and 1,485 police, have been detained, according to the president.
In addition, tens of thousands of workers have lost their jobs, suspected of possible ties to the coup plotters.
Mr Erdogan said the government has also closed and seized the assets of 15 universities, 934 other schools, 109 student dormitories, 19 unions, 35 medical institutions as well as over 1,100 other associations and foundations.
The human rights group, Amnesty International, said it has obtained evidence that detainees were being subjected to ill-treatment, including beatings and torture.
Amnesty's Turkey researcher, Andrew Gardner, said the reported ill-treatment also included verbal abuse, threats, leaving people without food or water for days, and handcuffing them behind their backs for long periods.
"We're looking for procedures to be followed, for lawyers to have access, for family members to be informed that their relatives have been detained," said Mr Gardner.
"We need to see proper medical care for people in detention, which isn't happening either. But also it's crucial that there are international monitors allowed to enter these places of detention."
Berat Albayrak, the energy minister and Mr Erdogan's son-in-law, said the government was determined to clamp down on the coup plotters but would take utmost care to ensure that anyone not involved in the conspiracy is not harmed.
"We cannot show mercy to those who oppressed the people," Mr Albayrak told CNN Turk television.
Care will be taken to ensure that the innocent are not harmed, "but it is doubtful this can be ensured 100%," he said. "Some minor difficulties can occur," he added.