Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Tutu will not be at Mandela funeral

Desmond Tutu will not be attending Nelson Mandela's funeral because he did not receive credentials to do so, a spokesman for the retired archbishop has said.

"The archbishop is not an accredited clergyperson for the event and thus will not be attending," Rev Mpho Tutu, the archbishop's daughter, said in a statement. She is chief executive of the Desmond and Leah Tutu Foundation.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate is a long-time friend of Mr Mandela and occasional critic of the current government.

A spokesman for Mr Tutu refused to elaborate and said the retired archbishop himself would not be commenting.

Mr Tutu spoke earlier in the week at a memorial service to Mr Mandela held in Soweto.

Mr Mandela is to be buried on Sunday in his home village of Qunu.

Later, a spokesman for the South African presidency said Mr Tutu is definitely on the guest list.

He said he hopes a solution will be found that allows him to attend.

"Certainly he is invited," Mac Maharaj said. "He's an important person."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph