Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Two dead in Burundi protests

Published 21/05/2015

Protester throw stones at police during clashes in the Nyakabyga neighbourhood of Bujumbura, Burundi (AP)
Protester throw stones at police during clashes in the Nyakabyga neighbourhood of Bujumbura, Burundi (AP)

Two protesters in Burundi have been shot dead as pitched battles in the capital escalated between police and demonstrators opposed to President Pierre Nkurunziza's bid for a third term.

A protester from the capital's Ngagara neighbourhood was shot dead and another was killed in the Musaga district, Red Cross spokesman Alexis Manirakiza said. Thirteen people were wounded in clashes, he said. Protesters have disregarded several orders by Mr Nkurunziza banning the demonstrations.

Today's deaths raise the number of people killed to at least 20, said the Red Cross. The protests began nearly four weeks ago after the announcement of Mr Nkurunziza's candidacy. At least 431 have been wounded.

Police fired tear gas and live bullets, mostly in the air, at protesters in Musaga. The protesters threw a hail of stones back.

Residents stayed up all night on the roads fearing that police would attack them in their houses, said Pierre Chanel Ndayizeye, who was among the protesters. They tried to prevent police from moving into Musaga with barricades of cut-down telephone poles and trees, he said.

Businesses shut down in the central business district of Bujumbura, the capital, when nearly 100 protesters manoeuvred around police cordons and held demonstrations, the second time protesters managed to infiltrate the heart of city since the protests began.

Police initially ran away when they saw the group but gathered reinforcements and confronted them. The group quickly dispersed.

The demonstrators came to the central business district to draw police officers from Musaga to allow the people there to protest, said Elvis Arakaza, a demonstrator.

The protests boiled over last week when an army general announced a coup which was crushed within 48 hours.

Protesters say Mr Nkurunziza's bid for a third term in the June 26 presidential election is illegal because the constitution only allows for two five-year terms.

Mr Nkurunziza maintains he can run for a third term because parliament - not the people - elected him for his first term.

Mr Nkurunziza issued a decree on Tuesday postponing parliamentary election from May 26 until June 5.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph