Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Two dead in Taliban attack on house

Taliban attackers armed with suicide bomb vests and assault rifles killed two people, one a foreigner, during a raid on a guest house near the Afghan parliament, authorities said, the latest attack in the capital as Nato troops withdraw from the country.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi did not identify the dead, only saying they worked for a foreign aid group he declined to name. Security forces rescued six Afghans held hostage by the attackers during the assault.

After storming the building in a residential suburb in west Kabul, one of the attackers detonated an explosives-packed suicide vest and security forces shot dead the other two, Mr Sediqqi and Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said.

The Taliban claimed the attack in a statement, saying they targeted "a secret missionary centre".

One witness, Samir Noorzai, said Europeans who worked as consultants for the Afghan government lived there. Others said it was the home of Christian missionaries.

The Taliban have waged a series of large-scale attacks on Kabul in recent days, including an assault in the upscale Wazir Akbar Khan district home to embassies and international agencies, and the suicide bombing of a British embassy vehicle. There have been about a dozen attacks in the past two weeks alone.

Meanwhile, Taliban attacks killed at least 11 Afghan soldiers in southern Helmand province, including one on a base once held by Nato forces, said Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor.

The Taliban has been launching assaults since Thursday on the base, once known as Camp Bastion until the British handed it over last month. Camp Bastion also once held Camp Leatherneck, a US Marine base in the volatile southern province.

Mr Zwak said the Bastion attack killed at least six Afghan soldiers and 20 Taliban fighters and wounded 10 Afghan soldiers. An assault there on Friday killed five soldiers and wounded seven.

The other attack, a suicide bombing targeting a military base in the province's Sangin district, killed five soldiers and wounded eight, he said.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph