Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Two men claiming to have found Nazi gold train appear on Polish TV

Published 04/09/2015

A tunnel found about 50 metres under Ksiaz Castle as Polish authorities hunt for a Nazi train loaded with gold. (AP)
A tunnel found about 50 metres under Ksiaz Castle as Polish authorities hunt for a Nazi train loaded with gold. (AP)
Retired miner Tadeusz Slowikowski at his home in Walbrzych, Poland on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015 shows a contemporary picture of the place where, according to him, a Nazi train, probably laden with gold and valuables, entered a mountain tunnel and was hidden as the Nazis were fleeing the Red Army in the spring of 1945. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)

Two men have appeared on Polish TV saying they are the finders of a Nazi train said to be laden with gold - a claim that came as the military inspected the alleged site in south-west Poland.

Identifying themselves as Andreas Richter and Piotr Koper, the men appeared on TVP.INFO.

Retired miner Tadeusz Slowikowski in his garage in Walbrzych, Poland on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015 (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)
Retired miner Tadeusz Slowikowski in his garage in Walbrzych, Poland on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015 (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)
Retired miner Tadeusz Slowikowski poses for a photo at his home in Walbrzych, Poland on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)
Retired miner Tadeusz Slowikowski at his home in Walbrzych, Poland on Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015 shows a 1928 German road and railway map that, according to him, indicates where a Nazi train, probably laden with gold and valuables, entered a mountain tunnel and was hidden as the Nazis were fleeing the Red Army in the spring of 1945. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)

Authorities in the city of Walbrzych said last month that two men had contacted them through lawyers claiming they had found an armoured train that possibly contains valuables and weapons.

The report sparked a gold rush around Walbrzych, where tales have circulated since the Second World War that the Nazis hid a train full of gold from the Soviet Army in early 1945.

"As the finders of a World War Two armoured train, we, Andreas Richter and Piotr Koper, declare that we have legally informed state authorities about the find and have precisely indicated the location in the presence of Walbrzych authorities and the police," Mr Koper said, reading a statement on TV with Mr Richter at his side.

"We have irrefutable proof of its existence."

Their knowledge is based on information from witnesses, and research carried out with their own equipment, Mr Koper said.

TVP.INFO said the train is not in a tunnel, as previously believed, but buried in the ground. Mr Koper said the two men are ready to cover the costs of the train's retrieval and want it to become a local tourist attraction.

TV cameras showed Polish military officials checking the purported site in the woods, which police are patrolling to keep swarms of treasure hunters from digging it up.

Retired miner Tadeusz Slowikowski, the only living source of the train legend, confirmed that Mr Koper and Mr Richter had visited him, saying they had located it and were going to report the find to the authorities.

He had previously refused to identify them.

He said the site was near the 65th kilometre of railway track from Wroclaw to Walbrzych, near where he believes the train went missing and where he was searching in 2001 but only came across what he believed was the supporting wall of a tunnel.

Any find in the ground is state property, but finders are entitled by law to a 10% reward.

Defence minister Tomasz Siemoniak, a native of Walbrzych, said chemical weapons and explosives experts had made a first inspection of the site to determine if a search should be undertaken.

But he said it was "hugely exaggerated" to say the military "are looking for the gold train".

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph