Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Two women killed after attack on Istanbul police station

Police in Istanbul have killed two women who attacked officers with gunfire and a hand grenade.

Two officers were slightly injured.

The women were identified as members of banned far-left group the Revolutionary People's Liberation Army-Front, or DHKP-C, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

Security camera footage showed the women firing at a police bus outside a riot police station in Istanbul's Bayrampasa district, and also hurling a hand grenade, before apparently taking aim at the police station. The grenade did not explode.

They fled the scene in a vehicle and hid in a building a short distance from the police station.

Special forces police surrounded the building and launched an operation after the pair ignored calls to surrender and opened fire on officers.

Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said both of the assailants were killed in the operation.

He said two police officers were wounded - one by broken glass during the attack on the bus and the other during the assault on the building.

The DHKP-C, among other attacks, carried out a 2013 suicide bombing on the US Embassy that killed a security guard.

DHKP-C militants also opened fire on the US Consulate in Istanbul last year.

The latest attack came amid a surge in violence in Turkey since the summer.

A fragile peace process with the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, collapsed in July, reviving a three-decade conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people since 1984.

Last month, a suicide car bombing that targeted buses carrying military personnel in the capital, Ankara, killed 29 people.

A Kurdish militant group that is an off-shoot of the PKK claimed responsibility for that attack.

But the government maintains that it was the work of a Syrian Kurdish militia group, in coordination with the PKK.

Some 145 people have died since July in three separate suicide bomb attacks that authorities have blamed on the Islamic State group, including 12 German tourists who were killed in Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet district on January 12.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph