Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Typhoon Dujuan hits China after killing two people in Taiwan

Published 29/09/2015

A road crew removes fallen trees from Typhoon Dujuan in the business district of Taipei (AP)
A road crew removes fallen trees from Typhoon Dujuan in the business district of Taipei (AP)

A typhoon struck mainland China after lashing Taiwan, where it killed two people, injured hundreds and left hundreds of thousands without power or water.

Typhoon Dujuan passed through Taiwan for three hours on Monday night, bringing high winds and rain. Several domestic and international flights and trains were suspended as the storm approached.

Taiwan's Central News Agency, citing the government's emergency operations centre, said the typhoon had left two people dead, 324 injured and six mountain climbers missing. A total of 710,000 households were without electricity and 370,000 without water.

Bon Jovi cancelled concerts planned for Monday and today in Taiwan because of the storm, which were to be the first ones there by the American rock band in 20 years, event promoter Live Nation Taiwan said.

The band had added the second date in Taiwan earlier this month along with a new concert in Bangkok after performances in Beijing and Shanghai were abruptly cancelled, reportedly over the band's inclusion of a picture of the Dalai Lama in a video that angered Chinese authorities.

Typhoon Dujuan made landfall in south-eastern Fujian province this morning, packing maximum wind speeds of 74mph near its centre, before weakening into a tropical storm, according to the National Meteorological Centre.

It was moving north-west at a speed of 20kph and was due to reach neighbouring Jiangxi province by tonight.

Ahead of its arrival, thousands of fishing boats returned to shore, ports were closed and in one city classes at middle schools, primary schools and kindergartens were suspended, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph