Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

US cancels Egypt military exercise

President Barack Obama has cancelled joint military exercises with Egypt next month and said the United States "strongly condemns" the violent crackdown on Muslim Brotherhood protesters that has killed more than 500. It was his first statement on the rapidly deteriorating situation in Egypt, where spiralling violence prompted the government there to declare a nationwide state of emergency and a nighttime curfew.

America's traditional co-operation with Egypt "cannot continue as usual while civilians are being killed in the streets," he said.

Mr Obama still did not label the Egyptian military's recent takeover as a coup - a designation that would have forced a cutoff of more than one billion dollars (£640m) in US aid a year. The army took power from Mohammed Morsi, a top Muslim Brotherhood official who became Egypt's first democratically elected leader a year ago after the ousting of long-time dictator Hosni Mubarak.

"America cannot determine the future of Egypt," Mr Obama said. "That's a task for the Egyptian people. We don't take sides with any particular party or political figure." Speaking from his week-long holdiay in Massachusetts, Mr Obama directed his national security team to see what additional steps the US might take.

The Bright Star military exercise has been a centrepiece of the two countries' military relations for a decade, but with the army consumed by the chaos in Cairo and other major cities, it was not clear that the cancellation of the joint manoeuvres would be seen as more than a symbolic move.

Mr Obama explained his decision to cancel the exercises by saying, "Our traditional co-operation cannot continue as usual."

Administration officials, including Secretary of State John Kerry, have condemned the violence. Mr Kerry handled the administration's initial response on Wednesday, calling the violence "deplorable."

As part of guarantees to Egypt when it made peace with Israel more than 30 years ago, the United States has been sending 1.3 billion dollars (£830m) in aid annually, most of it to the military. Fearing Washington might lose what leverage it has with the Egyptian army, the Obama administration so far has refused to call the military takeover in June a coup.

Mr Obama has been criticised for that policy by both opponents and some supporters in the United States.

Egyptian Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and pro-reform leader in the interim government, resigned in protest over the violence.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph