Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

US Embassy in Turkey reports security threat

Published 14/12/2015

A US Embassy spokeswoman said the limited operations would continue through Tuesday
A US Embassy spokeswoman said the limited operations would continue through Tuesday

The US Embassy in Turkey said it has shifted to "limited operations" due to an unspecified security threat.

An embassy spokeswoman in Ankara could not provide information on the security threat but said the limited operations would continue through Tuesday.

Last week, the US Consulate in Istanbul warned US citizens to avoid the building due to information about an imminent security threat and suspended consular services for a day.

Turkish news reports said the consulate was placed on alert following intelligence about possible plans by Islamic State militants for a suicide attack.

Two suicide bombings blamed on a local IS cell killed a total of 130 people in attacks near a town on the Syrian border in July and in Ankara in October.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph