Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 September 2014

US general dies in Afghan shooting

Afghanistan National Army soldiers stand guard at a gate to Camp Qargha, west of Kabul (AP)
A Nato soldier (right) opens fire near the main gate of Camp Qargha (AP)

A two-star American general was killed in an apparent insider attack today by a member of the Afghan security forces, US officials said.

A man dressed in an Afghan army uniform opened fire on foreign troops at Camp Qargha, a base west of the capital, Kabul.

The attacker injured approximately 15 people, of which roughly half were Americans, one official said.

Among the injured was a German brigadier general.

General Mohammad Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for Afghanistan's Defence Ministry, said a "terrorist in an army uniform" opened fire on both local and international troops. Gen Azimi said the shooter had been killed.

The Qargha shooting comes as so-called "insider attacks" - incidents in which Afghan security turn on their Nato partners - largely dropped last year.

In 2013, there were 16 deaths in 10 separate attacks. In 2012, such attacks killed 53 coalition troops in 38 separate attacks.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz