Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 September 2014

US man held in China says deal made

Chip Starnes has been held in captivity since Friday (AP)

A US company boss held hostage by his Chinese workers says an agreement has been reached, and he expects to leave his plant in Beijing.

Chip Starnes' captivity began on Friday. Dozens of workers have demanded generous severance packages, even though they were not being laid off.

Mr Starnes told The Associated Press early Thursday that an agreement had been reached between him and the workers, and he had been forced to give in to their demands.

He says the last six days have been "humiliating, embarrassing, saddened".

Starnes says: "We have transferred our funds from the US. I am basically free to go when the funds hit the account here of the company."

He declined to say how much.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz